Monday, January 22, 2024

Whos ear is this?

Reading: Job 34 and Luke 22

 

Scripture: Luke 22:50-51 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus said, “No more of this!” And he touched his ear and healed him.

 

Thoughts: I feel like when I hear this story after the focus on the sweat becoming like great drops of blood and the betrayal this servant’s ear gets glossed over. In John’s gospel it says it was Peter who cut off the ear. I can see impetuous Peter jumping in thinking its time to take over. Even being with Jesus for three years many of his follower thought he was going to be the concurring, Messiah. With the authority that the servant carried Peter most likely would have been harshly punished. But this was not just one last miracle before going to the cross but Jesus removed all evidence that the crime happened. Just like how after the cross our sins are wiped away, Jesus made it so that Peter could not be convicted of attacking the high priest’s servant.  He is still touching and healing us and those we hurt today, we need to accept it and ask for forgiveness form God and those we hurt. 

 

Prayer: Lord God, you are the healer and you put back together the things broken in our lives. I thank you that you are working in me. I ask that you forgive my iniquities, open my mind to remember those who I have hurt that I may seek forgiveness and help me to offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me. Fill me with your fruit – Love Joy Peace Patience Kindness Goodness Faithfulness Gentleness and Self-Control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment