Sunday, January 28, 2024

Breaking bread.

Reading: Job 39-40 and Acts 2

 

Scripture: Acts 2:42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.

 

Thoughts: We can easily get distracted and lose focus on the things of God. Yet we are still called to be discipled. At my church, we are encouraged to go through a discipleship series. During the different levels, we are asked to commit to a drastic reduction of media consumption. That includes social and mainstream media sources. We are to devote ourselves to the teachings and reading of the Bible, getting into or back into the discipline of daily Bible reading and prayer. In the Bible days and even in many Jewish homes today breaking bread together (having a meal) was not taken lightly it was seen as an acceptance of that person and what they represent. Are we devoting ourselves to seeking God and his will to the point of surrounding ourselves with those who can speak into our lives and those whom we can speak into theirs? 

 

Prayer: Lord God, you are worthy of all praise, your glory shines brighter than a thousand suns. Your peace amid chaos leads me to joy without understanding. I thank you for all you are doing in my life, I thank you that you are molding and refining who I am. I ask that you help me to devote more time and energy to seeking you and seeking others who point me more to you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment