Sunday, January 21, 2024

Judgy Judgy

Reading: Job 24-26 and Luke 17

 

Scripture: Luke 17:3-4 Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.

 

Thought: When someone is being called out on sin in their lives it is common to hear Matthew 7:1 be quoted. “Judge not, that you be not judged. But even in this passage about forgiveness we are called to have discernment and in turn, make a judgment. This is not an eternal judgment that is only for God but we are to judge how to deal with sin in the church. In Luke, it says “If a brother sins.” Sure this can be family but this is more likely to be referring to the church family, our brothers and sisters in Christ. If we are not calling out the sins (judging) ourselves and our brothers we will inevitably start finding ourselves and others finding our way towards the wide and easy path. Yes, we will be judged by the measure we use to judge others like Matthew says but when that judgment is loving kindness calling our brothers and sisters back to God that is the judgment I want used against me.

 

Prayer: Father God I thank you for giving me discernment, helping me to see the difference between where I am and where I should be. I am in awe of the love you pour out on me even when I have fallen into sin. I thank you that you have sent brothers and sisters around to call wake me up to sins in my life. I thank you that you are working in my life, continuing to mold and refine me. You are the potter and the silversmith that are working my life into a reflection of you. I ask that you help me to see the next steps in your plan and give me the boldness to step out in them. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment