Wednesday, January 3, 2024

“When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.” – Yoda, Return of the Jedi

 Reading: Genesis 4-5 and John 3

Scripture: Genesis 5:32 After Noah was 500 years old, Noah fathered Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

 

Thoughts: looking at all the generations listed before Noah and their average age of around 900 then at today ninety to a hundred, we are living about one-tenth of their lifespan. If we take the ages here in chapter 5 and divide them by ten, we see some interesting things. Child rearing was normally very early in life, and it always said they fathered other sons and daughters. We don’t know how many, but I guess that because they started early, they would have many. But in our passage, it said Noah was 500 when he started having kids. That is like today waiting until you were in your fifties to start having kids. I am in my early forties I have a seven- and a nine-year-old. I remember how exhausted my wife and I were having our babies when we did. I can only imagine how tired we would be if we had started having kids almost twenty years later than we did. We also can look at Abraham having kids at 100 and Caleb going in to take land at 80. We are never too old for God to work in us and through us. We have a calling, and He will give us the strength to walk out that calling He has placed on our lives. 

 

Prayer: Father God, your wonders never cease to amaze me, your glory shines among the stars and fill the earth with your love. Your love overwhelms us and calls us to you. I thank you for all the work you have done in my life. I thank you for the blessings and provision you are pouring out on us every day. Open my heart to hear your voice more, help me to seek after you more. I ask for the strength of the ages to do your work, to overcome the trials and tribulations that are around me. Help me to cast off the old me and take on the righteousness that you have called me to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment