Tuesday, January 2, 2024

What are you wearing

 Reading: Genesis 2-3, Psalm 149, and John 2

 

Scripture: Genesis 3:21 And the Lord God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them.

 

Thoughts: What are we clothing ourselves in? After disobeying God’s one rule and their eyes were opened Adam and Eve clothed themselves in leaves. Leaves when removed from the plant will start to wither, dry out, and become crumbly as an effect of being disconnected from their life source. What do we have in our lives that may cover us for the moment but will ultimately wither and fall apart? Social media is an example of this at work. Almost every social media platform has filters for the photos being taken, leading to this paper-thin veneer over reality. The posts are also typically engineered to show the best side of a situation but when we zoom out a little and remove the filters the reality of who we are and what is going on shines through. All these things will one day fall apart. Through the shedding of blood, God made clothes for Adam and Eve out of skins. These garments may not last forever but would have lasted much longer than the leaves and also would have given them some protection. The blood shed for us by Christ allows us to cast off the clothes of sin and put on the armor of God that will last and protect us for the battles to come.    

 

Prayer: Lord God, praise be to you, your love endures forever and ever. I thank you for your provisions and the blessings you pour out on us. I thank you for the work you are doing in my life, the refining fire, and the revealing of sin in my life. I thank you for your Son and the blood shed for me. I cast off my sinful clothes and seek to put on the armor and step up to the battle before me. I ask that you help me to continue to remove the veneers and filters I place on my life so that I can shine your light on this dark and broken world.

No comments:

Post a Comment