Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Revenge will make us feel better

Reading: Jeremiah 30-31 and Romans 7

Scripture: Jeremiah 30:16-17, Therefore all who devour you shall be devoured, and all your foes, every one of them, shall go into captivity; those who plunder you shall be plundered, and all who prey on you I will make a prey. For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the Lord, because they have called you an outcast: ‘It is Zion, for whom no one cares!’

Thoughts: Jeremiah was calling out Juda and reminding them that they are going away from God but even though they are not seeking him at this time when they do when they turn back from their own evil ways that he will return the evil done to them back onto those who did it. Most of us want that revenge or payback ourselves and in our timing. It is easy to think revenge will make us feel better and allow us to move on. There is a movie called Memento, Spoilers for a 20 year old movie, in the movie Leonard the main character has something happen and now he has short term memory problems and cant remember anything new except for a few hours. With this issue he is trying to track down his wife’s murderer, in the end we discover that he has killed many people with the help of his friend because after finding the murderer the first time nothing changed he just become more obsessed with finding the killer. We can get so obsessed with getting our revenge or what we deserve that we can find ourselves in a cycle that is not only destructive to others but ourselves. God has said he will pour out justice, but if we are trying to be the arbiter of that justice, we may get swept up in it instead of delivering it. 

Prayer: Father you are so wonderful, I thank you for all you do. I thank you for your patience with me and that you lead and guide me every day. I thank you for my family and the joy correction that bring into my life. I thank you for your provisions and blessings you pour out every day. I ask that break my heart for the things that break yours, Lead me to the people you have for me to interact with today open their heart and my heart so that love can flow.


No comments:

Post a Comment