Sunday, November 22, 2020

My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness.

Reading: Jeremiah 40-41, Psalm 38, and Ephesians 5

Scripture: Psalm 38:3-6, There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin. For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me. My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness, I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; all the day I go about mourning.

Thoughts: As I read this portion of this Psalm, I felt this lament over who we are without God and how weak we are without his strength. We can get so caught up our strength and our plans that we forget that God is the one who gave us our strength. David had his great times of faith and God given power but also had his failures. Even with his failures he was still called a man after God’s own heart. David knew the power of God and the discipline. We need to stay in his Word and seek him every day and be honest with God and ourselves about the sin in our lives and seek to overcome them.

Prayer: Father you are the one who gives me strength, and health. You pour out grace and  peace upon us, and your glory shines from all creation. I lay my failures and self-serving ways before you and seek to walk in your ways. I thank you for all you are doing in my life the refining and molding you are doing in my life. I thank you for those around me who encourage and bring growth in my life. I thank you for my family and those who are like family. I thank you for your provisions and blessings, you take care of all we need and lead us in your ways. I ask for help recognizing when I turn my focus from you and your path and seek my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment