Tuesday, October 27, 2020

He, however, shook off the creature into the fire

Reading: 2 Kings 24, Jeremiah 22, Psalm 43, Acts 28, and 2 Corinthians 12

Scripture: Acts 28:3-5, When Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks and put them on the fire, a viper came out because of the heat and fastened on his hand. When the native people saw the creature hanging from his hand, they said to one another, “No doubt this man is a murderer. Though he has escaped from the sea, Justice has not allowed him to live.” He, however, shook off the creature into the fire and suffered no harm.

Thoughts: Paul not only had the confidence in God who had told him that he would speak in Rome he also knew what no matter wat happens God is in control. We walk in trials every day sometimes it is to keep our faith, others is it to keep from looking at things we shouldn’t and others to refrain from doing things we shouldn’t. For Paul this was just another thing attacking him. We have our own ways of reacting to these trial we can freak out in the vain if I can’t believe this is happening to me or we can like the Taylor Swift song says we can “Shake it off.” If we look at this allegorically, in the Bible satin is many times referred to as the snake. That snake was trying to get Paul to die, or at least be ineffective in his ministry. Knowing who he was in Christ he shook off that snake not just onto the ground were it could try to attack again but into the fire where the attacks would become ineffective. As we are attacked in our day to day life we can ether shake that attack off into the fire, shake it off onto the ground, or let it latch onto our lives and poison us.

Prayer: Father God your truth shines upon us though your creation and your word. Your glory manifests in the beauty of creation and the movement of the heavens. I thank you that you are faithful to lead and guide us as we seek you. I thank you for my family. I thank you for those who speak into my life. I thank you for your discerning spirit. I thank you for your provisions and blessings that you pour out in our lives. I ask that you help me to not only shake off these snakes that are trying to poison my life but to shake them into the fire where they cannot come back at me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment