Thursday, December 24, 2020

Wild fire

Reading: Ezra 9-10, Psalm 28, James 3, and 2 Peter 1

Scripture: James 3:5, So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!

Thoughts: Living where I do this last year, I was directly affected by the forest fires. Not only did our family loose things but communities where we had been just days before had, now have been reduced to nothing more than the remnants of a foundation and maybe a fireplace still standing. It is one thing to see these fires on the TV but walking the devastation after something like this breaks your heat. Our tongues can and will cause devastation like these forest fires, all it takes is a spark in the wrong place at the wrong time to start these fires. Just like that spark a wrong word spoken in anger can lead to devastation in someone’s life, we do not always think about the power in our words. Are your words watering the forest to bring new growth or are they a spark seeking to find that pile of dry brush?

Prayer: Lord God you are the one who raises up and brings down, you are the one who provides all things. Your grace and mercy abound in all things. I lay my fiery words and attitude at your feet. I thank you for your refining and molding you are doing in my life, I thank you for those who you bring into my life to help me to seek after you more. I thank you for my family and friends. I thank you for your provisions in these times of uncertainty and that in that uncertainty we are in our hands. I ask that you help us to use our tongues to build up and not tear down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment