Friday, December 11, 2020

Gatekeeping

 Reading: Ezra 1-2 and Hebrews 4

 

Scripture: Ezra 2:62-63, These sought their registration among those enrolled in the genealogies, but they were not found there, and so they were excluded from the priesthood as unclean. The governor told them that they were not to partake of the most holy food, until there should be a priest to consult Urim and Thummim.

 

Thoughts: Lineage and genealogy are so important to the Jews of this time and may still be today, I know that beyond my grandparents I have little to know knowledge of my heritage. It was so important to be counted among God’s people, even with out prof of who they were the came and worked and gave to rebuild the Temple. It appears to me that they were told you can work and you can give but until the priest gets here and consults with God using Urim and Thummim you don’t get any of God’s blessings. When people are coming to us or the church are we welcoming them in or are we being a gatekeeper and saying you need to meet these criteria before you can be apart of our family. 

 

Prayer: Father God, your arms are open to all who seek you and to all who accept your gift of adoption thought your Son. I thank you that you are leading me. I thank you for the people around me that lead and guide me in seeking you. I thank you for your provision and blessings. I ask that you help me to be welcoming and not a gatekeeper.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment