Sunday, May 24, 2020

May 24, 2020 Call Me Bitter

Reading: Ruth 1-4 and Matthew 2

Scripture: Ruth 1:20, She said to them, “Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me.

Thoughts: I love the story of Ruth, this Moabite woman who would have every right to walk away from Naomi, but she chose to stay by her side and support her mother-in-law and in turn become the great grandmother of King David. I spent some time going over the reading for today and then it came to me where Naomi was saying stop calling me my given name but call me bitter. How often are we able to praise God in the good times and worship him when we are all together but the moment that we are in the fire, stuck in our homes alone or with people who we are struggling to get along with, do we forget to worship, praise, and dive into the Word. When the world is pouring fear and doubt into us ever day are we leaning into him who will lift us up or are we diving into the bitterness and letting the world dictate who we are?

Prayer: Father God you are so wonderful, your grace abounds even when I struggle. Your glory shines in the darkness of the deceit and fear. I thank you for your love and the provision and blessings you pour out on us. I thank you for my family and those who are as family. I ask that you help me to choose hope and joy that you give and not wallow in the bitterness and despair the world provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment