Wednesday, September 22, 2021

They were the ruin of him.

Reading: 2 Kings 16, 2 Chronicles 28, Psalm 113, John 14, and 1 Corinthians 7

Scripture: 2 Chronicles 28:23, For he sacrificed to the gods of Damascus that had defeated him and said, “Because the gods of the kings of Syria helped them, I will sacrifice to them that they may help me.” But they were the ruin of him and of all Israel.

Thoughts: In todays Western society we do not have alters and gods the way they did back when this was written. There is not a god that is over each of the nations or people groups that we believe strengthened one nation over another. Our gods are more steeped into our culture and hidden in the selfish nature of the world. Just as chasing after the other gods ruined King Ahaz and continued the destruction of Israel in that time. The gods of our day and age will cause the same to use. Today many of the gods that are followed are things like the lust for money, things, fame, and notoriety. None of these are inherently sinful or bad but when we let then become more important than our relationship with God and spreading his Word, we start bowing down at the alter selfishness. Are we seeking God first, seeking his place for us in in plan? Let us seek after him and set aside our desires, as we seek him earnestly our desires may change or be fulfilled in a way we did not expect.  

Prayer: Lord God, your wonders never cease to amaze, from the rising of the sun to the birds of the air, you have made all things to point to your glory. I thank you for all you are doing in my life, I thank you for your provisions and blessings that I get to steward, I thank you that you are working in me, molding, and refining who I am that I can reflect you better. I ask that you help me to seek you and your desires for my life, help me to discern the next steps that I am honor you in all that I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment