Friday, May 20, 2016

May 20, 2016 I am in control!!!

Reading: 1 Thessalonians 3-4 Judges 9-10

Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 4:4, that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor.

Observation: This scripture has great meaning to me, on June 17, 2007 my elder brother Rob passes away in a car accident. The seven years before his passing we had grown close with 6 years between us growing up we had different interests and friends. After my first divorce, and he had also gone though a divorce a couple years before, we had something in common we started drinking and doing marijuana together. His depression exacerbated the effects of both with him and his addictions were set. After his death I got a tattoo with this scripture to remind me that I need to remain in control and not let the my body and what feels good dictate what I do.
The symbols mean "Self Control" 


Application: We all need reminders that we have been given a spirit that can over come our bodies. Our spirit controls our body and though Christ’s sacrifice God had given us a living spirit that has the strength and power to overcome our body we just have to learn to live in that spirit and overcome our body/human nature, our nature to want what feels good. God has called us to be in the world but not of the world. I have to admit that even with this verse as a reminder on my wrist I will still forget and let my body overcome my spirit. 


Prayer: Father, I thank you that you have given me that spirit that can overcome my body and the evil one. I also that you of the forgiveness that you continually pour out on me as I fail. Lord I ask that you continually remind us that you take care of us and power and strength to overcome the evil one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment