Saturday, May 14, 2016

May 14, 2016 I can Prevail!!!


Reading: Philippians 4 and Joshua 21-22

Scripture: Philippians 4:12-13, I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Observation: I know that growing up in the church I have had Philippians 4:13 quoted to me countless times. Every time though looking back it was being used out of context and who ever it was was tying to encourage me that I could do what ever it was that was getting ready to do and was nervous about. 

Application: Paul in this passage is more so talking about finding the Joy of the Lord in every situation. This is not a rally call saying, “you are in Christ so you can do it” not that isn’t a great rally call I don’t think that was Paul’s message. When we read the scriptures before number 13 the light of what Paul is getting at comes out. Being brought low, the secret of facing … hunger, and in abundance and need, then here come the I can do all things. This is speaking of God giving us the strength to have the joy even in the bad times. Under Strong’s definitions of the Greek word used for “I can do” also can mean “prevail”, and I think that may be a better uses in this context so that it would say I prevail against all things though Christ who strengthens me. 


Prayer: Father I thank you that you have given us the strength to prevail in all situations, and given us the ability to be have your joy in our hearts and lives even in the mists of struggles and trials. Lord help us to learn what we need to learn to stand firm as Paul does. Help us to know how have your Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment