Wednesday, June 3, 2020

May 29 to June 3

I have been out of town and unable to post my journals so here they are. There a few from my mini men's retreat where I took a few Men to a Mountain Cabin for a weekend.

May 29

Reading: 1 Samuel 13-14 and Matthew 7

Scripture: 1 Samuel 13:8, He waited seven days, the time appointed by Samuel. But Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and the people were scattering from him.

Thoughts: Just before Saul was set to be king he was hiding from Samuel in the baggage, in today’s reading Saul decided that he could not wait on Saul to show up beyond the week it was said to wait. Taking things into his own hands Saul to make the sacrifices. There are many times where we are told to wait on the Lord, the Largest wait we are all in it waiting on His return. When we wait are we waiting in a way that glorifies and honors God or are we tapping our foot going “Where are you?” or trying to tell him that when he does show up that, “You are late.” Like the statement Gandalf says about wizards “A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.” God know what is going on and will take care of what ever we are waiting on him for but there may be some teaching and stretching of us that needs to occur before he will fulfill the promise that he have us. We need to stop tapping our foot and start looking ourselves and asking God what do I need to change about what I am doing to put myself into a position of receiving and where I need to be to fulfill his plan?

Prayer: Father your grace and love abounds over me, your plans are higher then mine your way are higher then mine. I thank you that I can be apart of your plan and that you are taking care of even the smallest of things. I thank you for my family and those who are as family. I thank you for your provision and the blessing that you pour out on us. I ask that you help us to open our eyes and ears to your guidance to help us to maneuver to where we need to be and to do what you call us to do. Help us to wait with bated breath and not with a tapping foot.

May 30

Reading: 1 Samuel 15-16 and Matthew 8

Scripture: 1 Samuel 15:22, And Samuel said, "Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams. 

Thoughts: I find my self relating to Peter, the reason I say that is that I will many times do things without thinking and deal with the consequences later. Just as Samuel told to Saul, Gods not looking to our offerings or saying I’m sorry or us groveling asking for give me. God is looking for us to want to obey him and for us to strive to better obey. As my 5 year old learns that obedience brings good things and disobedience can bring pain we sometime need to learn the same lessons.

Prayer: Father, your beauty surrounds us and glorifies your name. Your grace rushes of me as a river of love. I thank you that you are here with me and you have brought these men into my life. lord I thank you for you provision and blessing you are pouring over us. I thank you that you are watching over us. I thank you for my family and those who are as family. I ask that you help me to strive for obedience and seek to walk in your way and find my play in your plan.

May 31

Reading: 1 Samuel 17, Psalm 144, and Matthew 9

Scripture: 1 Samuel 17:48, 51, When the Philistine arose and came and drew near to meet David, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Philistine.

Then David ran and stood over the Philistine and took his sword and drew it out of its sheath and killed him and cut off his head with it. When the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they fled.

Thoughts: I this battle we had this very cocky Philistine taunting David and this nation of Israel. What I focused on was how David went into that battle. David ran in he did cower of wait for an opportune moment to go in, he ran in knowing God had his back, he killed the giant that is said he drew the sword from the sheath if the giant and cut off his head. The thing that stood out was he drew the giant’s sword out of the sheath. David ran into the battle so fast and caught the giant so unaware that he did not even have time to attack David let alone draw his sword to defend or attack. As we spend more time in the Word and learning God’s voice we are arming ourselves and training so that when we come to a battle we don’t have to stop and figure out a strategy or figure where are weapons are, and we can like David run in with that we have and conquer that enemy that was before us.  

Prayer: Father you are our Lord and our commander and chef. You lead us in our war and battles with the evil one. I thank you that you have already won the war and you are our strength. I thank you for those you bring around me to be apart of my Foxhole and are able to do battle beside. I thank you for your provisions and blessings you pour out on us. Lead and guide us every day.

June 1

Reading: 1 Samuel 18-19, Psalm 59, and Matthew 10

Scripture: Psalm 59:1-2, Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men.

Thoughts: There are times, where I feel like I am being picked on or attacked personally. Work lately has been doing things to keep themselves afloat because of the economic downturn in doing so, there is a good number of employees who are having things withheld even though promised before anything started. As David needed deliverance from those Saul sent to kill him, we need deliverance from those things that are attacking us. We are in God’s hands and have his strength overcome those things, let we walk in them and declare his victory.

Prayer: Lord God you are the deliverer you are our protector and lead us into victory. I thank you that you have adopted me into your family making me worthy of the protection and strength. I thank you for my family and the provision that you are giving us. I ask that my eyes be opened to the next steps in this battle. Lead me and guide me in the victory you have already one.

June 2

Reading: 1 Samuel 20, Psalm 83, and Matthew 11

Scripture: 1 Samuel 20:42, Then Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, because we have sworn both of us in the name of the Lord , saying, ‘The Lord shall be between me and you, and between my offspring and your offspring, forever.’” And he rose and departed, and Jonathan went into the city.

Thoughts: As I read this passage I was a little confused at first, most of the time when you hear about someone being between people its because they are keeping them from fighting. The image of someone standing with their hands our on the two opponents chests keeping them apart is what came to mind. As I looked deeper into this passage other translations and meanings, I found that a common translation is God being a witness between them, not only had the Word said several timed that David and Jonathan loved each other as their own souls they had a covenant with each other and with was them saying to each other God had witnessed this promise we made and he will be our connection, God is our bond with those who are in his family and he has witnessed what we have said even if its just in our hearts.

Prayer: Father you are so wonderful, you know the thoughts in my head and the struggles in my life, yet you call me and love me. I thank you for your love and grace. I thank you for my family and those who are as family. I thank you for your provision and blessings that you pour out upon us ever day. I ask that you help me to walk in your love and in your grace for the sake of connections with those who are family in your name. Show me the connections and how to love those I may not agree with.

June 3

Reading: 1 Samuel 21, Psalm 34 & 56, and Matthew 12

Scripture: Psalm 56:3-4, When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?

Thoughts: David wrote this when in the middle of running for his life both from his father in law and from Achish the King of Gath. David had every right to be afraid, but is puts his trust in God who had him anointed to be the next king. Just like many others in the Bible we are not always given what we are promised without delay. Moses had 40 years tending sheep for his father in law, Joseph had about 13 years as a slave and a prisoner before being raised up after his dreams. In the midst of us being chased or oppressed or even just listening to the fearmongering that the media is putting out there, are we trusting in God and seeking him so that he can walk us though as the light.

Prayer: Father you are so wonderful I place my trust in you and lean not on my own understanding, you are the almighty and I long to sit in your presence. I thank you that you are my strength and your peace washes over me. I thank you for my family, I thank you for the guidance and word you give me in times to pour into others. Lord just as the father said to Jesus “I believe help my unbelief”

No comments:

Post a Comment