Tuesday, March 30, 2021

What kind of love?

Reading: Numbers 4, Psalm 21, and John 21

Scripture: John 21:15-17, When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.”

Thoughts: In English we have one word “Love” that we use in many ways where in the Greek they have five. From Agape a selfless love to Philautia a self-love. In this passage the first two times Jesus asked Peter he used Agape and on the third time asked Phileo (brotherly love). I had heard teachings that said the first two Peter said Phileo and the third said Agape. But as I was checking the Greek it appears that Peter never moved from Phileo for all three times. We are called to love God with all our mind, all our heart and all our soul (Luke 10:27). This love is the Agape love, Peter apparently was struggling with loving that way, as do we all, it is easier to have the respect, regard and friendship then to go all in and love as God loves. Let us strive to get to the unending, unconditional love God calls us too. 

Prayer: Father, you are love, you pour it out upon us and ask us to do the same to those around us. Lord forgive me of not loving you as I should and placing conditions on my love. Help me to love better those around me, especially my family and friends that sometime get the short fuses in my life. Pour your love into me that I may pour it into others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment