Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Gathering and reading

Reading: Leviticus 22-23 and John 14

Scripture: Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work. It is a Sabbath to the Lord in all your dwelling places.

Thoughts: As I was reading this morning the term convocation stood out to me, not that I had not heard it before but that I did not have a deep grasp on the meaning. Just as when you read a textbook, or a story and you come across a word you do not know you gather an idea of its meaning by the context around it. When I looked up the Hebrew it was the word miqra the meanings that were listed were reading, a calling together, and sacred assembly. So, on these Feast days and days of rest they were told to gather together for the reading of scripture. Are we setting aside time for God, and for the reading of scripture? We are to be gathering together to be able to hold each other accountable. This statute that was set up around 3000 years ago not to force us to hear scripture but to give us the opportunity to slow down and focus on God and rest our bodies are not meant to be an extension of our work week. 

Prayer: Father God you are worthy of our time, you are worthy of all I have and all my praise and worship. I thank you that you do call us to gather, you know our every need and every desire. I ask that you help me to recognize your sabbath and honor it as you have called us to gather and to be in your word. 


No comments:

Post a Comment