Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Blessings of God's Math

This last year has had its share of ups and downs for me. I have had many times after buying this house where I was not sure how we were going to pay our bills or keep this house that God placed us in. We have had so many great blessings this last year that I got complacent and was not trusting on God nearly as much as I know that I should.

So to start about 16 months ago as we were pregnant with our daughter it was placed on my heart to increase our giving from 10% to 20% making things a little tighter but still very manageable in the apartment and our way of life at the time. I tell this to you not as a look at me, I share this because I want you to see God blessing as I do. As we become more accustom to our new budget and getting the things we need for our baby that came along about 4 to 5 months after we made this promise to give God one fifth of all we bring in. With both of us working trusting God with the first fifth of our income we became complacent and comfortable with out budget.

Even though we gave to God at times it was not from a place of gratitude and thanksgiving, it was given like it was a duty or out of responsibility. During this time God was still blessing us, providing cars and things we needed as our family grew. As we were approaching the end of our lease on the apartment we had been in for the last two years, we started the process of trying to find a place to live. Not knowing if we should stay, find somewhere else to rent, or to buy, we started looking at all options and started getting more and more discouraged with what was out there.

We started to seek God more, spending time in prayer together and talking to those we trust. Having a list of things we truly wanted and needed in a home we continued to look and were getting ready to start making compromises on our list so that we could own instead of rent because we decided that we wanted to stop paying others for the ability to live somewhere and we wanted to buy a place. Getting closer and closer to needing to sign a new lease or just take whatever we could find we were struggling.

We found someone who was able to help us out with getting a grant for a down payment on a house if we could find one. We started first looking close to church and my wife’s work trying to find something in our price range and everything we found was ether too much or we would have had to compromise so much in what we wanted.

Just before Fathers day and about a month before we would have to be out or sign a new lease and about the time I was giving up looking. I felt this urge to look again and a house just came on the market and was right about our price range. After work that day I went and picked up my daughter and drove past this house. It was a little further away from church and work then we were thinking but it had everything that was on our list, open great room floor plan and a large fenced yard for our dog. Within 4 days of finding the house we had an accepted offer and we were able to start moving in on Fathers day.

After getting this wonderful home some of the utility and other bills that come with a house were larger that we expected and I started worrying about money and how to pay our bills and was even getting to the point of thinking about taking our giving back down to 10% even though promised and heard God tell me to give at this higher rate. I struggled with continued giving, I tried to justify that he had us do it for a time to get us used to living on less so that we would be better prepared for the budget that would come with the house and had even said to my wife at least once we only need to give 10% it will make things better.


Thank God I didn’t listen to myself. Over the last six months of owning our new home, God has provided us with more then enough money to continue to give where we promised but has made our food last longer and stretch further, our bills have always been paid and almost always on time. I have gotten a new job paying $3 per hour more, given my wife the ability to work from home a couple days a week saving us half on our daycare bill. There are still times when a car has an issue or we need to get something unexpected and I start to worry, but then I remember that God put us here in this home for a reason and its not to be kicked out and he continually makes the money go further and there is always enough to take care of what ever comes our way. Thank you God for taking care of your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment