Monday, January 18, 2016

January 16 2016 How shrewd are you?

Reading: Luke 16 and Job 22-23

Scripture: Luke 16:8, The master commended the dishonest manager for his shrewdness. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light.

Observation: This at first seems so out of place in the teachings of Jesus. Jesus is praising this person that was dishonest. Looking into this a little I think that what was going on here coupled with the parable of the talents leads me more to believe that he is praising the fact that the man actually acted on the situation and didn’t just fold and say well I guess I will just give up now and take what comes to him. Just lake the parable of the talents where after the master retuned and the one with one talent had done nothing but hide the money so he could return I to the master.

Application: We are called to action and not just sit and let things happen to us. This passage that seemed so out of place to me as God praising someone dishonest when it seems more about acting on what situation was going on around you. We have all been given situations and talents in our lives that are opportunities and strengths to do things and we need to jump in and do it. Even if you are placed in a situation like the dishonest manager and everything is being taken from you do what needs to be done in a way that will honor God and not just save you. Also don’t just keep the talents that God has entrusted to you to yourself because if you are not using them they will be taken from you and given to another.


Prayer: Lord, you are so wonderful and I stand in awe of you and the power to give and take. I thank you for the gifts you have given to me, and the blessing of provisions that you have given to my family. Lord, I ask you to help me to see to the opportunities to honor you in the things I do and say I also ask that you help me be a better steward of the provisions you have given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment