Tuesday, January 19, 2016

January 18 2016 God, be merciful to me, a sinner!

Reading: Luke 18 and Job 27-28

Scripture: Luke 18:13, But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’

Observation: So many times when I have read this or remember it being taught at church I have heard or thought about the story from the view of the Pharisee and how we are not to see praise from those in this world. At this time in my life I am feeling more like I am the tax collector just crying out to God for forgiveness and his mercy being I so often fall on my face and fall back into the temptations I have around me.

Application: I think this is as much about telling us that we are not to look down on others as it is about how we do many times come before God. But he calls us that way he calls us broken, bruised and in need of his loving kindness and mercy. We need to come to him offering all of ourselves and repent of our past.


Prayer: Lord, I thank you for your grace and mercy and that you extend your loving kindness to me even when I was so far from you. Lord I ask you to help me keep things in perspective, help me to honor you and share your great gifts to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment