Tuesday, January 19, 2016

January 19 2016 And a wee, little man was he

Reading: Luke 19, Job 29, and Psalm 121

Scripture: Luke 19:5, And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, hurry and come down, for I must stay at your house today.”

Observation: When ever I hear or read this story my  childhood comes back to me and I hear the song that went “Zaccheus was a wee, little man, And a wee, little man was he.” As a kid we were told he was a tax collector but I never really understood the implications of that and why it was a big deal that Jesus had dinner with him. Later I found out that the tax collectors were seen as traitors and the worst type of sinner because they were Jews working for the Roman government and anything they collected above what they promised to give to Rome was their wages.  

Application: Here is what I think is the largest portion of Jesus’ ministry was. It was having meals and spending time with those who needed to be touched by the love and understanding that only God could give. We are called to love others as ourselves, even those who are sinners just as we were sinners. We were all once lost and far from God we are to share that love that God gives us with them.


Prayer: Lord, I stand in awe of your great and wonderful love. I thank you for this life you have given me to live and I want to live it for you all the days of my life. Lord, I ask you to help me to love the sinners in my life as you loved me before I knew you.

No comments:

Post a Comment