Wednesday, January 6, 2016

January 6 2016 What Measure are you using?

Reading Luke 6 and Job 1-2

Scripture: Luke 6:30, 38, “Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back.” “give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

Observation: For me it is easy to walk past someone begging or looking for some sort of hand out and not look or think that they are just trying to pull the wool over my eyes and get something for nothing. I have heard too many stories where panhandlers are living well on all these handouts that people give them thinking they are down and out. It is so easy to just say I give to the church or to this origination so I don’t need to give to this person.

Application: We are called to give to those in need and to not expect anything in return. In the time of Jesus the Jews were expected to pay the tithe, the first fruits, and then on top of that Jesus said to give to everyone who begs from you. We are to have a heart and a mentality of generosity. Even though it appears that we are working towards a cashless society I say carry cash with you pull money out and budget your generosity, be intentional. I’m not saying neglect the tithe but give beyond the tithe. And when you can give that way you can watch God pour it back into your life so you can continue to pour it our on those in need.


Prayer: Lord, I thank you for the opportunity to help those in need and share your love with those who may not know you. You are the great provider and I thank you for the blessing that you have given me the ability to share some of the things you have give us. Lord, I ask you to help me to be more generous and not so closed minded about those asking for money. Help me to take the steps to share what you have given me more because it is not mine it is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment