Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.

Reading: 1 Kings 2, 1 Chronicles 28-29, and Hebrews 4

Scripture: Hebrews 4:6-7, Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he appoints a certain day, “Today,” saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.”

Thoughts: I have heard salvation called fire insurance for the soul; I have heard this even from pastors. As I read this passage in Hebrews today the author is talking about those in the church who have fallen into disobedience. There are other passages that talk about people who have habitual sins in their lives. We are not looking at when someone just messes up and needs to turn from that sin, but those who ether do not see it as sin or those who willfully do the sins. This passage seems to say and others point that even those who know the Gospel can be led astray and if they are unwilling to turn from the sin then they will not enter into His rest. Let us open our hearts and ears to God’s voice and be receptive to the rebuke and exhortation that will soften our hardened hearts and help keep them from hardening. 

Prayer: Father God you, lead us and guide us, you place your laws and your precepts on our hearts. I thank you for the molding and refining you are doing in my life, I ask for the forgiveness of my failures and the encouragement and strength to overcome the things that I still struggle with. I thank you for sending your Son to pay the price for my sins and that you are leading and guiding me. I ask that you open my eyes to the strongholds that are still in my life and help me to cast off those chains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment