Thursday, June 24, 2021

Your Rod and your Staff

Reading: 2 Samuel 7, 1 Chronicles 17, Psalm 23, 1 Timothy 5

Scripture: Psalm 23:4, Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Thoughts: In reading this today I was thinking about the rod and the staff, when looking into the Hebrew for those the staff (mašʿēnâ) was a support come thing to hold onto and keep you sure footed. The Rod (šēḇeṭ) holds multiple meaning the most obvious here it the shepherd’s tool to direct and protect the sheep, but also is the scepter a symbol of authority. Finally, rod also has the meaning of clan or tribe. It is interesting to look at this passage with the full meanings that the Hebrew language brings, we are comforted in these trials because we are directed and protected, by the true authority and His clan, that clan I feel today is His church. We are also comforted by the staff the support that we need, be it a hand hold or an encouraging word. 

Prayer: Father God, you are the comfort, you lead and guide us, you protect us and give us a clan to belong to and together we support one another with your help. I thank you that you are with me and that you have the rod to keep me on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment