Monday, June 7, 2021

Jumping in with both feet!!!

Reading: 1 Samuel 23-24, Psalm 45, and Matthew 14

Scripture: Matthew 14:29, He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus.

Thoughts: Almost every time I have heard the narrative of Peter walking on the water the focus is on that Peter started to sink. These men had seen what they thought was a ghost coming across the water to them, then Peter asks, “If it’s really you call me out there.” After being told to come Peter had to step out of the boat. I do not know about you but even knowing how to swim I really would not want to get out of a perfectly good boat in the middle of a lake in the middle of a storm. I have heard that when Jesus said, “you of little faith” that it was more accusatory like “look what happen why did you not make it.” But to me that does not fit with who Jesus is. When you read it with compassion you hear that line a little different. Peter the Rock actually had the courage and faith to get out of the boat and try. Are we willing to make a leap of faith and step out on whatever lake or sea of uncertainty that we are in and walk to our savior? 

Prayer: Lord, you all and I know that I do not always have the courage and faith to step out of the boat where I have become comfortable. I thank you that you continue to call and I have the opportunities to step out. I thank you that you are molding and refining me. I ask that you help me to see the opportunities and step out onto the turbulent seas as the come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment