Sunday, June 20, 2021

Motives matter

Reading: 2 Samuel 4, Psalm 22, and Matthew 27

 

Scripture: Matthew 27:3-4,Then when Judas, his betrayer, saw that Jesus was condemned, he changed his mind and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.” They said, “What is that to us? See to it yourself.”

 

Thoughts: There have been lots of things going on lately that have been described with motivations that may not have been true without being in the head of the person doing these acts or they explicitly say this was my motive it is only a speculation and conjecture on what that motive was. With Judas I remember being taught that because the Bible says he was a thief and he regularly took from the money bag, that he had to be evil and that is why he betrayed Jesus. What if his motivation was to try to have Jesus stand up to Rome and the ruling class to restore God’s kingdom on earth. Most of the Jews at the time were under the teaching that the Messiah was coming to kick Rome out and restore Israel. So when he threw the money back at the leaders he was seeing his mistake still not seeing or understanding the big picture. Where are we assigning motives that are not for us to assign. 

 

Prayer: Lord God, you know our motives and our plans, you know when we seek you or try to force a plan. You have a plan that I fit into. Even the plans you have made known to me I still need to wait on your timing and your leading. Help me not to push your with my own motives

No comments:

Post a Comment