Monday, June 27, 2016

June 24, 2016 The Rod and Staff

Reading: 1 Timothy 5, 2 Samuel 7, 1 Chronicles 17, Psalm 23

Scripture: Psalm 23:4, Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Observation: This being one of the most well know scriptures can so easily be miss understood or just glossed over because we hear it at almost every funeral or time of hardship. I have to admit that for a long time I didn’t think about this passage.

Application: As I read it and reread it, the second half of this scripture spoke to me. Not just the “for you are with me” because that is a great comfort when going though hard times but, “your rod and your staff.” The rod is a disciplinary tool and the staff is a symbol of authority. So David was say here (it is something I have found that give me comfort as well) is that having someone who is bigger then me and can help me to stay on the right path is a comfort. We all need a little discipline now and then to help us to correct our course and get back on the right path. 


Prayer: Father I thank you for your Rod and Staff, for your discipline and directions. I also that you for the provisions that you give us each day and the direction you have your our life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment