Friday, June 10, 2016

Jane 10, 2016 Do I have to?

Reading: Matthew 18, 1 Samuel 26, and 1 Chronicles 4

Scripture: Matthew 18:21, Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?"

Observation: I don’t know how many times I have felt like I have given this person or that person enough grace and forgiven them enough. Yes I admit it is hard to forgive those who have wronged me. Back in biblical times and Jewish traditions seven was the number of completion, there are 7 days of creation, every seventh day and year was one of rest. So in Peters eyes my though of what was going though his head before asking this was probably something like, “I know I need to for give him a few times for wronging me but he cant expect too much so I will aim high and go for this powerful number of completion.”  

Application: When Jesus comes back and tells him 70 times 7, or in essence he is saying completely forgive them and then do it again, and again, and again until it become a part of who you are. Jesus is not saying forget what they did because that is his job that he did on the cross but to just forgive and have reconciliation. When there in not forgiveness someone is hurting and someone is holding a grudge, and a grudge is like having an unwanted guest in your brain or someone renting a room from your and not paying rent and you are ok with it. 


Prayer: Father thank you for separating our sins as far as the east is from the west and giving us the example of who to forgive. I thank you for taking care of me and my family always providing what we need and reminding us to rely on you each and every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment