Friday, October 1, 2021

Wood gods

Reading: Isaiah 44-45 and Acts 2

Scripture: Isaiah 44:16-17, Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, “Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!” And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, “Deliver me, for you are my god!”

Thoughts: The things we use every day and maybe even take for granted that we have, can be easily develop into in idol. Just as Isaiah was talking about the wood being used as fire to cook on, or taking it further to make a shelter from then also gets turned into an idol bowing down and worshipping it that it kept you warm and sheltered and fed. We could do the same with money or work or even the enjoyment from social media. All these things can be good, allowing us to get what is needed to survive or stay in contact with friends and family, but when these things start surpassing the importance of God and spending time in his word, we start making them idol. I need to work more, to make more, so I can get more so, I can do more with my friends and family. Where will it end? We need to be content with that we have and also be good stewards of the thing that God places in our care. Yes, I have to work to steward my family properly. Let us seek God in all we do that we may steward well those things we are given. 

Prayer: Father God, you created all things, and you own all things, the cattle on a thousand hills our yours. I thank you that you allow us the opportunity to steward some and use it for your glory. I ask you for the wisdom and the ability to steward well. Lead me and guide me in all I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment