Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Lighting bolts from heaven.

Reading: Nahum 1-3 and Acts 13

Scripture: Nahum 1:2-3, The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord is avenging and wrathful; the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies. The Lord is slow to anger and great in power, and the Lord will by no means clear the guilty. His way is in whirlwind and storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

Thoughts:  So many people have the image of God being a spiteful and vengeful God that is just sitting in heaven like Zeus waiting to throw a lighting bolt at us every time we mess up or something. The seconds half of this passage got me seeing one of the early scenes in the movie Thor where Thor’s arrival on earth looks like a dust storm. When you are at enmity with God it is easy to focus on the wrath that was poured out in different places in the Old Testament from kicking Adam and Eve out or Eden, Flooding the entire world, to pelting Sodom and Gomorrah with sulfur and fire. We seem to be shown lots of jealousy from God. God is just meaning that we have to look at what we deserve, according to romans 6:23 we deserve death because of sin, not because you did good, not that your good outweighs your bad but the wages of sin is death. Now that we know what we deserve in the same verse he gives us a way out, the gift of eternal life. To get this life is the belief and trust in the Son, Jesus the Christ. Depending on what side of the relationship with Jesus and God will determine if you are getting your wages or a Gift. 

Prayer: Lord God, you are so awesome and your power and majesty leave me on my knees mute and unmoving. You know all I have done and all I have thought and you still call me and draw me to you. I thank you that you are calling me, you call me to grow and learn. I thank you that you are molding me and refining me into the man you are calling me to be. I thank you that you are lighting the path and I ask that you help me to see the next step that you are placing before me and calling me to walk out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment