Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Fleeing to what?

Reading: Jonah 1-4 and Mark 1

Scripture: Jonah 1:3, But Jonah rose to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the Lord. He went down to Joppa and found a ship going to Tarshish. So he paid the fare and went down into it, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the presence of the Lord.

Thoughts: We all have a calling on our lives, our callings can very from being a mechanic and blessing others through your work, to leading a small group, to being a great author selling millions of copies of a book. Jonah was called to be a prophet, when walking in that he was called to go to the “other side of the tracks,” to wat them about what God had planned to give them opportunity to repent. Yet he “rose to flee to Tarshish,” not only was he heading the wrong way he was trying to escape from God redeeming a people that Jonah felt were unworthy of God. Are we fleeing God’s calling on our lives, and if so where are we heading? Beware there may be a big fish moment seeking you.

Prayer: Lord God, you are so wonderful, all of creation shouts of your glory. Your grace and mercy abound all around me. I thank you for all that you have done in my life, and all you are still doing. I ask that you help me to walk in your path and seek you every day. Help me to recognize if I am running from you, and letting my own biases get in the way of pointing to you and your glory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment