Thursday, January 25, 2018

January 25, 2018 How big of a room do you need???

Reading: Acts 1 and Job 37-38

Scripture: Acts 1:15, “In those days Peter stood up among the brothers (the company of persons was in all about 120) and said,”

Thoughts: I have to say that Job 38 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible in that you get to see God’s sarcastic side. To me that opened my eyes to the Idea that God still being holy and in perfect Love also has moods and a sense of humor. Back to this verse, this is one I know I have glossed over I don’t know how many time and never thought about. There were about 120 people in this upper room, even though Luke named a few women with the tradition of only counting men means that there could be up to four times as many there. 

Through our traditions and images like Michelangelo’s Last Supper we think there was only the 12 and Jesus there, I believe that the group that was at the upper room when Peter got up to raise up the Matthias to fill the place of Judas, was at least the same group if not a larger group. Once Jesus was crucified is did say many turned away. There was the Core 12 who were Jesus’s closest. When Jesus washed the feet of his disciples at the last supper that was most likely a bigger act of service then most think and we are called to serve and to love as Christ was the example.

Prayer: Father, I thank you that you provide another day to worship you and seek your glory. I thank you for my family and the opportunity to serve them, I place them in your loving hands. I thank you for the provisions and blessings you have for us today. I ask that you help me to see the opportunities to serve and to be the leader that6 you have made me to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment