Saturday, January 21, 2017

January 21, 2017 Does it hurt yet?

Reading: Luke 21 and Job 32-33

Scripture: Luke 21:3-4, And he said, "Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

Observation: Almost every time I have heard this passage around offering time or even times I heard it preached it’s under the principle of either giving out of a proper place and not being showy with your giving. Being that the rich that were spoke of would bring chests of coin and pour it into offerings to make lots of noise so they can get the recognition of giving and their giving was out of the abundance. 

Application: This poor widow had almost nothing and gave it all to God. I believe that the Holy Spirit will prompt each and every one of us to give and to give with the proper heart. I have come to a point in my life where like the widow I want to give until it hurts. About 5 year ago I started giving regularly then I moved to tithing then tithing on the gross to now we are giving tithes and offerings. Giving is something that is meant to help strengthen our faith in God’s provision. As we drew up to the end of last year I heard so many messages end of year giving, churches and charities alike encouraging people to give one last time that year. I am the type of person who if I have money I have to spend it, so if I tried just setting aside the offerings that I give and wait to give at the end of the year or to determine what would be a good charity to give to, I would spend that money and I don’t think my giving would stretch my faith. I suggest you give at the level the Holy Spirit prompts you and it will stretch you. For some it will be to just start giving, others it will be to increase giving and others it could be to give that large gift you have been staring at in your savings. 


Prayer: Father it is all yours, and I stand in awe that you allow me to be a steward of this small portion. I know that I struggle to not let money rule me and though giving it away your Holy Spirit helps me to love you more and let the money go. I thank you for the provisions and blessings you pour out on us each and every day. I thank you for each day I wake up in your great creation. Lord I ask that you help each and every one us to hear the promptings of the Holy Spirit in giving, in directions needed, and in hearing from you though your word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment