Thursday, January 12, 2017

January 12, 2017 It's the StayPuffed Marshmallow Man

Reading: Luke 12 and Job 13-14

Scripture: Luke 12:1b-2, "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.

Observation: To me when I first heard heard this I was confused and wondered “what does this have to do with me?” As I spent more time in the word and also understood how some of these things are used this made more sense to me. The Pharisees were the biggest quandary to me for a long time until I learned that in a way they were like religious lawyers, they new the Mosaic law inside and out and how to navigate all the loopholes to make them puffed up and feel and look more important then others. 

Application: So when Jesus said “Beware of the Leaven of the Pharisees,” he is saying watch out for the things that will bring out your arrogance and pride. The term hypocrisy was odd to me with everyone saying being two faced (being a geek I think of the DC comic character) but what it meant back then were actors that would ware masked to change characters. So the thing that puffed up the Pharisees was hiding who they really are. The second verse to me makes more sense when I look at it this way, we are not called to hide who we really are, God gave us our story to be able to share with those around us. God knows all of who we are already and we will can not keep it hidden. What you have been through will give you a unique perspective to reach out to other. I can reach people you can’t and you can reach people I can’t not just because of where we live but what our pasts are.


Prayer: Father, I love you so much and I stand amazed at the love you have shown this world even though none of us deserve it. I thank you for each day I get to wake up to and spend with you. I thank you for the provisions you give us each day and the blessings you bring into our lives. I ask that you help open my eyes and heart to opportunities to share who you are and what you have done for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment