Tuesday, November 3, 2015

November 3 2015 Who's winning your war?

Today’s reading was Romans 7 and Jeremiah 30-31
The scripture that stood out to me today was Romans 7:15-20 “For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.”

Observation: For the longest time this passage was one of the most confusing passages I have ever read I thought for the longest time that Paul was going nuts or something. Over time and through learned friends I discovered that Paul is not crazy but he is talking about our two natures that are warring within us. The first being our fleshly nature, the feels good so do it nature. Second being our spiritual nature that longs to be with God and honor him with all we have and do. So when Paul says, “For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing” he is saying that he wants to do what he is called to do but he does not and to make it worse he does the things his fleshly nature wants him to do.

Application: We all know that things we are supposed to do, draw close to God, love, and share the Gospel, this are the things we want to do knowing the blessings of the Lord comes though obedience. We also like sin; it’s fun and feels good.  We are at war within ourselves wanting to serve the Lord our God, and we want to have fun and do all the things God said don’t.


Prayer: Lord, I come before you thanking you for the great blessings that you pour out upon us. Lord, I come before you humbly come before you seeking the strength to overcome the fleshly nature that you have a right standing with you lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment