Wednesday, November 3, 2021

November 2 What did you say???

Reading: Jeremiah 28-29, Psalm 17, and Romans 6

Scripture: Jeremiah 29:10-11, For thus says the Lord: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 

Thoughts: There is love and distain for this verse, in part because so many people us it at inappropriate times and situations. There are many people fall into these traps of using a verse that sounds good in someone’s time of distress. This passage can be a comfort for those walking with the Lord knowing there is a plan and a path to walk but it does not make the trial or the pain any easier to go through. Jeremiah had just been telling Israel that they are going to Babylon for 70 years so when they get there build houses, plant gardens, and have families, then tells them that God has a plan. In the ESV they use welfare but the Hebrew word shalowm can also be translated as completeness, soundness or peace. We can’t see God’s big picture this side of heaven, we may be given a glimpse into the next step or two. This verse may be a comfort to those who have overcome a trial or are on a mountain between valleys but when we are in the mist of a valley fighting to remain faithful, fighting to overcome something we don’t want to hear “He has a plan” we need to hear “Here is my shoulder I will walk with you.” This is why we need our community, Men gathering together to sharpen iron, Women gathering to hold each other up, and Families coming together to battle the influences of a world that does not want the Word of God to spread. Let us overcome together. 

Prayer: Father God, you are the Comforter and you give us the peace in the mist of the storm. You pour your joy into our lives and give us life. I thank you that you do have a plan and that you are working in our lives. I ask that you continue to mold me and refine me into the father you have called me to be. I ask that you help us to walk together in the trials and pains that are to come, there is a way though. Help us to come together to shine your glory into this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment