Wednesday, October 26, 2016

October 26, 2016 Burning fire shut up in my bones

Reading: Acts 27, Jeremiah 19-20 and Psalm 146

Scripture: Jeremiah 20:9, If I say, "I will not mention him, or speak any more in his name,” there is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot.

Observation: The thing that caught my attention with this passage was "there is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in my bones.” I have been burned on my skin and had heartburn but the idea of a fire in my bones sounds excruciating and makes me think of Wolverine having the Adamantium infused into his bones (Geek Flag). It seems like the pain that Jeremiah would feel when he would try to hold in God’s word for the people would be worse then anything I have ever experienced. 

Application: As this sounds like it could have been a physical pain to keep him sharing the news that if they would not straiten up and fly strait there would be death and destruction. Today we have the Holy Spirit in us to convict us and let us know that we are to be sharing the Gospel with those around us. We are blessed that this conviction is not physically painful but we are not sharing a bad news. We are to be sharing the Gospel and that means Good News. I believe that this conviction will come in different forms for some it’s the calling to missions some it’s the calling into paid ministry but for most of us it is a calling to share our story of what God and Jesus did for us and how we change. 


Prayer: Father I love you and I stand humbly before you. I thank you for the gift of your Son and his death on the cross. I also thank you for the provision and blessings you give us each day. I ask you to help us to act upon the callings we have on our lives and to not allow ourselves get to the point where we need a fire in our bones but give us a fire in our soul to reach the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment