Tuesday, May 2, 2023

The great green god

Reading: Deuteronomy 25-27 and Galatians 2

 

Scripture: Deuteronomy 27:15, cursed be the man who makes a carved or cast metal image, an abomination to the Lord, a thing made by the hand of a craftsman, and set it up in secret, and all the people shall answer and say, Amen

 

Thoughts: In that time it was common to have many gods and to make then out of things, be it gold, silver stone or wood. In that they would have gods for every aspect of life. Yahweh God called Israel out of that and told them to stop with those other gods and to not make a image of him. Today our gods are still there. In America on of the biggest gods that worshiped is the god of keeping up with the Jones or the god of fame or the god of money. In a way I think that those three are all the worship of mammon. Many translations translate mammon as money, others translate it as treasures and riches. What is this mentality of having the nicest car on the block but the worship of money and the things it will get you. Similarly seeking fame is worshiping what that fame will give you. What gods do we have in our lives that many people would not see as gods and what are we secretly sacrificing before them.

 

Prayer: Lord God, creator of all things, giver of life and comfort to my soul. I thank you that you are my all I need and all I want. I thank you that you allow me to steward a portion if your great wealth. I thank you that you are refining me and molding me into the man you have called me to be. I ask you help me to overcome the anger and frustration in my heart the pain that leads me to want to jump to the inappropriate reaction instead or responding the way you would have for me to respond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment