Sunday, September 17, 2017

September 16, 2017 I am, I am what?!?!?

Reading: John 8 and Isaiah 22-23

Scripture: John 8:58, “Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.””

Observation: As Jesus was teaching the people and the Pharisees were trying to debate him. The way he said, “before Abraham was, I am” confused me and made me wonder about what he was saying. I have learned over time my confusion was due to several thing, one being as a human we have a hard time understanding and grasping the idea of a being that is omnipotent omnipresent and infinite. The second thing is the use of “I am” not only is this a declarative statement of being to the Jews this was the name of God. 

Application: So when Jesus said, “before Abraham was, I am” he is saying lots. First he is saying I was there at the beginning, next he is saying I have been here, and the most important thing he is saying if these pharisees were listening to him he is saying I am God the son the one who was prophesied about. We need to open our eyes ears and hearts to hear this ourselves and allow him to work in us through the holy spirit who is in us.


Prayer: Father you are so wonderful and I thank you for sending your son and the sacrifice that he was for us to bring us home. I thank you for the provisions and the blessings you pour out on us each and every day. I ask you to open my eyes and ears to know you more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment