Wednesday, April 5, 2017

April 5, 2017 I can do anything I want!!!!

Reading: 1 Corinthians 6, Numbers 15 and Psalm 90

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 6:12, "All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be dominated by anything.

Observation: In Christ we are given freedom and forgiveness of sin. I have heard of people who have taken this passage and say I can do anything and ask for forgiveness later if I need to but all things are lawful for me. Christ didn’t die a horrible death on the cross so that we can abuse the gift. Yes his death and resurrection covers our past and future sins but when the Holy Spirit convicts us of a sin we are not to just ask for the forgiveness but we are to repent and turn from it.
The Greek word that was translated helpful, symphero has several ways of being used the one I feel would be better fit here in this context is “be better for,” I feel like Paul was trying to say, “Sure you can (in a sarcastic tone) do anything, but will you be better for doing anything. The big thing I'm seeing in this world today is the idea of “do whatever feels good” in the context that we are nothing but smart animals and we can do anything. 


Prayer: Father you are so amazing giving us the ability to seek you and learn from your word. I thank you for the blessings and provisions you have for us. I thank you for your word and your Spirit guiding us. I ask that you help us to understand and see the things that we will be better for and to avoid those that are not helpful to us or building you up. I ask that you help us to glorify you today in our work, actions and words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment