Sunday, April 23, 2017

April 23, 2017 Dirty Rags am I

Reading: 2 Corinthians 8, Deuteronomy 9-10 and Psalm 143

Scripture: Deuteronomy 9:4-5, Do not say in your heart, after the Lord your God has thrust them out before you, 'It is because of my righteousness that the Lord has brought me in to possess this land,' whereas it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is driving them out before you. Not because of your righteousness or the uprightness of your heart are you going in to possess their land, but because of the wickedness of these nations the Lord your God is driving them out from before you, and that he may confirm the word that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.

Observation: There are those christians out there who see themselves as better then others, they persecute those who are different or have a sin they don’t have. There is a particular Baptist group who are so apposed to things they feel the need to protest with hate saying. Moses is here warning us not to get full of ourselves and not to diminish what God has done by claiming our own righteousness. 

Application: When God has done great things in our lives like releasing us from addiction, or delivering us form oppression. God also is the great provider taking care of all our needs and even blessing us on top of it. As I spoke with men whom I'm at a retreat with we were talking about the term dirty rags in Isaiah 64:6 in the NKJV says “And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags” with this many of us think of a rag that we clean something up with or wipe our counters with, something that can be a little funky. I the original language that was the dirtiest of dirty things it was a woman’s menstrual cloth. We truly need to keep things in perspective, as much as we want to say we are righteous what we are, are the dirtiest of dirty rags.


Prayer: Father I am amazed that even though I am one of the most disgusting things in existence, you still love me you still want to wash me and make me white as snow. I thank you for loving me that much and I thank you for the provisions and blessings that you pour out on me each and every day. I love you lord and I ask that you continue to wash me each day 

No comments:

Post a Comment