Wednesday, March 22, 2017

March 22, 2017 What you are going to do, do quickly.

Reading: John 13, Leviticus 20-21

Scripture: John 13:26-27  , Jesus answered, "It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it." So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, "What you are going to do, do quickly." 

Observation: For the longest time I thought that when Jesus did this and called out Judas that he was going to betray him I pictured it as this big ah ha moment where he points out to everyone there. As I read this a different picture came to me. As they sat there after Jesus had said someone would betray him, Peter turns pokes John whispering, “Hey ask him who it is!?!?” Then John turns to Jesus and asked him starting verse 26, I don’t think is was loud or made a big deal because when Jesus then gets Judas’ attention and said, “What you are going to do, do quickly.” That got everyones attention because at that point John make a point that people though he was going to go do something for Jesus to prepare for the feast or give to the poor. Why would the others be thinking that if Jesus had made a big announcement that Judas was the betrayer and wouldn’t he change his plans if he was called out. I don’t know if there is a great theological debate over this of differing views but after reading this account again this is how I read it. I also don’t think it was just the twelve and Jesus in the upper room at this point in his ministry he had over a hundred followers but the twelve were those closest to him and were chosen, later it says that when they chose someone to replace judas he had to have been with them from the beginning. At the prayer after the Ascension of Christ there were over 120 people there so my thought would be that at least some of them were there at the supper too. 


Prayer: Father I thank you that you open our minds and hearts to your word, and thank you that you gave us this living word that is sharper then any two edged sward. I thank you for your provisions and blessings you have for us and ask that you help us to seek you every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment