Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Who are these Jones people any way?

Reading: Numbers 17-18, Psalm 73, and 1 Corinthians 8

 

Scripture: Psalm 73:3 For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

 

Thoughts: Are you trying to keep up with the Jones? This was the first thing that went through my mind when this passage stood out to me. Many times the Jones that we are comparing ourselves to may not be truly wicked but many flaunt what they have. With the invention of social media, this FOMO and longing for the life that others portray has ratcheted up the mentality of keeping up with those Jones. When the world has opened up the firehouse of comparison it is hard to not feel like the grass is greener over there. This not only goes toward the things and opportunities we have but also how content we are with our situations and our choices. I chose to love my wife and asked her to be my wife, yet so often we start looking at others, that grass over there because there is something that didn’t live up to our expectations. As we seek God and his will in our life He will fulfill every need we have. He also longs to bless his faithful servants, so how are you stewarding the things he has entrusted to you so far? 

 

Prayer: Father God, you are the creator of all things, you own the cattle on a thousand hills. You give and you take away. I thank you for the opportunity to steward those things around me. I thank you for my family and the people in my life. I pray that my stewardship is a praise to you and that I can point to you always in about all things. I thank you that you are molding and refining me as the silversmith does. I thank you that you call me even when I fall. I ask that you help me to be more content with what I have and not seek more than what you have for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment