Friday, June 9, 2017

June 9th, 2017 Here fishy fishy fishy

Reading: Matthew 17, 1 Samuel 25 and 1 Chronicles 3

Scripture: Matthew 17:25-26, He said, "Yes." And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying, "What do you think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll or tax? From their sons or from others?" And when he said, "From others," Jesus said to him, "Then the sons are free. 

Observation: I have always remembered the story of Peter going and catching a fish to pay the taxes here it is who knows how many decades later and I’m seeing I remembered the wrong disciple. Wouldn’t it be nice that when ever we needed money that we could just go down to the local fishing hole and cast our line in and when we got a fish it would have what we needed. 

Application: As I was reading the question posed to Simon stood out and then the following replies. What stuck out was Jesus’ remark of “Then the sons are free.” This made me think as a child living with our parents we don’t have to pay taxes even if we work we get to claim exempt because someone else is claiming us. We have been adopted into God’s family and made sons and daughters and in his eyes we are always claimed. God paid the price though the death and resurrection of his son Jesus and we are now covered by that payment. 


Prayer: Father I am so grateful to be able to call you father and that you call me your son. I humbly come before you seeking to be held in your arms and comforted in our times of need. I Thank you for your provisions and blessings that you pour out on us each day and the instruction and directions in our lives. I ask you to help us see and hear your voice and the next steps you have for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment