Wednesday, June 7, 2017

June 7th, 2017 What's on your lips

Reading: Matthew 15 and 1 chronicles 1

Scripture: Mathew 15:8, This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;

Observation: At this time Jesus was talking to the religious leaders these people who thought they were so Godly because of all the rules and statutes that was to keep them from breaking any of the commandments. Even after the death and resurrection of Jesus and knowing that salvation is a gift to be received not something to be earned, I have seen many churches that still appear to teach a works based salvation, you need to do this or do that to get your salvation then you have to do this or that to keep it. 

Application: Not only were these groups only pay lip service to God, we have can fall into that same trap. I know I used to be what many call Sunday morning Christians, I would put on a good show of looking good and being at church Sunday mornings but the rest of the week God was nowhere in my life I was using my salvation as fire insurance instead of another reason to praise him every day. This world is doing everything it can to distract us and keep us from becoming followers of Christ. I heard a pastor once put it this way “If the devil can’t keep you from coming to Christ, he will settle for making you ineffective for the kingdom.” We have this tendency to avoid conversation that may make us or the person we are talking to uncomfortable so the devil will use that to keep us from reaching others, and that is just one example of why we need to reach out to others. Its not the pastors job to bring people to christ his job is to equip us to go out and complete the Great Commission.


Prayer: Father I lay my family at your feet they are yours and I know the work you are doing thru them. I thank you for your provision and blessings you pour out on us each day. I ask for strength and wisdom when it comes to speaking to people about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment