Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Folding of the hands.

 Reading: Proverbs 24-25 and 2 Peter 1

 

Scripture: Proverbs 24:30-34, I passed by the field of a sluggard, by the vineyard of a man lacking sense, and behold, it was all overgrown with thorns; the ground was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down. Then I saw and considered it; I looked and received instruction. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.

 

Thoughts: Each generation seems to be moving away form the willingness to do a hard days work. 200 years ago, in the early years of our nation, most men had hard physical jobs such as carpenters, blacksmith, wagon maker, and farmers. Just a few generations ago the group called the Boomer had the work ethic of hard work, but brought into the office setting. Gen X sought more office type work and grew up outdoors still understanding that it takes hard work to better ones self. Millennials and Gen Z may not have known a world without the internet or smartphones, and one of the biggest hope and dream of many of them is to become famous in some way and make money off playing games and making social media content and do as little as possible. With the mentality of give it to me because I deserve it verses I will work for what I want. Seems to me to have bread an entire generation or two in western society who exhibit the mentality of the slugger who Salomon wrote about. Are we falling into the trap of the sluggard letting the the weeds in our lives top take deep root and break dow the walls allowing the robber to come in and to steal kill and destroy our lives and the lives of those around us. 

 

Prayer: Father God, you showed us the work ethic to have in creation, work 6 day of good work of making all things and take a day of rest. I thank you for you pressings and provisions that I can walk in your love and in your grace. I ask that you help me to keep prospective on how I work and how I rest that I may show my faith by my works and to point those around me to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment