Monday, March 10, 2014

Lent

I never gave Lent much thought. Looking at it as this thing that Catholics do every year before Easter. Through my wife God has had me looking at Lent differently, yes we have decided to give something up for this time before Easter but unlike how I looked at things before its not just a time of depriving myself or my household of something, it a time to put my priorities back where they belong. I know that may people give up things like meat, sugar, chocolate, coffee, or even sex. I believe that, wail that is all well and good, in our day and age that there are many more things in our lives that take us away from God or distract us from God and those are the things we should give up or limit during this time. If this season is meant for self examination, and repentance leading to the celebration of Christ's raising from the dead then we should look at removing the distractions of things like TV, internet, video games, and social media. Over these last few days it has been a struggle giving up what we chose as a family to give up. 

Doing so has left me with a lot of time on my hands, as a full time student after finishing my classwork I have to find ways from not going to those things that we gave up. Without knowing it these prophetic women in my life challenged me to spend more time in the word. Whether it is a breeze or a 2x4 I'm not sure. But I do know that its a daily battle against the evil one to walk in the light. I encourage all to take a time and set aside those distractions and pick up the word of God and drink in every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment