Tuesday, June 18, 2019

June 18, 2019 Off Course

Reading: 2 Samuel 3 and Matthew 26

Scripture: Matthew 26:14-16, Then one of the twelve, whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, "What will you give me if I deliver him over to you?" And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him.

Thoughts: This morning after reading this passage, my wife and I were talking and the question of, “I wonder what hardened Judas’s heart?” As we talked and thought about it the idea how Satin works, he does not try to get us to 180 away from God his primary tactic is to place a small magnet near our compass to get us to start going off course. So as a follower of Christ that magnet that can take us off course can be anything that takes our focus from God and is work. My thought in the case of Judas was what if he was convinced that turning Jesus over to the leaders that it would force him to step up and be the triumphant King that the Jews thought the Messiah was going to be. Judas my have thought he was helping to fix the world he was in by bringing forcing Jesus to step into his power and authority.

Prayer: Father I thank you for loving me and calling me to you. I thank you for your provisions and blessings you pour out on us each day. I thank you for my family and friends that you have brought into my life. I ask that you help me to recognize when there is a magnet drawing me off course. Help me to keep you as the beacon and true north in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hm, could be: 30 pieces of silver is made reference to the worth of a slave that is killed (Ex 21:32) Some scholars believe the 30 pieces of silver also resembles the story in Zech 11, he went to those he worked for, asking for his pay, they gave him 30 pieces of silver, it was a somewhat sarcastic gesture, belittling his value. Judas went and asked 'What are you willing to give me to hand Jesus over to you?" He only got 30 pieces of silver. Could it be the leaders were indeed, belittling Jesus' value. Interesting, Zechariah went and threw the silver coins into the house of the Lord, (11:13) that is exactly what Judas did (Matt 27:5).

    Did Judas have free will in this whole betrayal against Jesus? Yes - however, God does raise up people and use their free will and hardened hearts for HIS own purposes, to demonstrate His power, wrath or grace. When He does, it isn't God making a good person evil, God simply back's off - as John says, Judas was known to be a thief (Jn 12:6) knowing Judas' propensity of heart, God used that, He chose not to intervene on behalf of Jesus to fulfill the plan. His plan.

    Pharaoh in the book of Exodus is a great example: God knew Pharaoh's propensity of heart, the Lord told Moses,"I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go." (Ex 4:21) God reinforced Pharaohs will, there was a plan - a process and the children of Israel needed to stay - while God demonstrated His power. As if God says, "So you refuse to let My people go? Fine. I'm going to reinforce your stubborn will and watch you go through ALL the plagues (along with ALL the people - Egyptian & Hebrew) by the 10th plague, the process was over - God's plan complete. Pharaoh told Moses 'Up, go out from among my people, take your flocks and be GONE!' (Ex 12:31) Paul speaks to this in Romans 9:16-18. The Greek word used for 'harden' means to refuse to change one's opinion or course of action. God held Pharaoh in place - like He did with Judas, the purpose of His process was the fulfilment of His plan.

    ReplyDelete